Everyone has insecurities,one of which can be acne. Acne is caused by bacteria infecting the pores and causing infection and inflammation. So, it may be a struggle and feel at times that nothing works, but maybe it’s your diet that could be affecting your skin. Food alone is not the cause of acne, but many times it is overlooked as one of the main contributing factors that are keeping you from the flawless skin you dream of. So, before you spend hundreds of dollars on medicine from dermatologist that cover up problems your body is trying to make you aware of, try letting go some of these foods.
5 Foods to Avoid
1. Milk (especially skim milk): Hormones cows produce when they are pregnant affect people who have higher levels of those hormones in their blood. Cheese also causes this reaction due to the milk and the difficulty of digesting it.
2. Gluten: This food has quickly become a topic of discussion, due to people discovering that they are intolerant to it, causing them to be diagnosed with celiac disease. Since it can sometimes be overlooked by doctors, many people are unaware that they are gluten-sensitive/intolerant. This causes them to have headaches and digestive issues, which result in inflammation and yes, acne.
3. Sugar: If you eat some candy that doesn’t mean you will break out, it’s more from the amount you consume. For example, if you drink soda often you are likely to see a few pimples later, versus drinking one every now and then. Soda contains a lot of sugar, which can spike your blood sugar levels.
4. Shellfish: They contain large amounts of iodine, which can inflame your skin and clog your pores. This includes shrimp, lobster, crab, crayfish, mussel and clams, which have been known to cause cystic acne. (The worst kind because it hurts AND you can’t pop it!)
5. Alcohol: It lowers your stress levels, which is great, but it also disrupts your sleep and dehydrates you, causing your oil glands to work overtime.
4 Foods that Help You Achieve Clear Skin
1. Salmon: the omega-3 fatty acids within this specific fish causes lower inflammation in your body. They also help lower the amount of a protein your body makes, called IGF-1, which is linked to acne.
2. Water: Toxins, bodily waste, and even bacteria can be trapped within your skin, but water helps flush them out, relieving you from acne.
3. Nuts: nuts like almonds, peanuts and Brazil nuts contain high levels of antioxidants like vitamin E and selenium. These nutrients protect cells from damage and infections.
4. Lemons: Lemons are great for internal and external acne issues. They reduce oil levels, kill bacteria and can brighten acne scars.
Detox Water That Clears Skin
- 1 liter of water
- 1 lemon
- 5 strawberries sliced
- 1 apple sliced
Acne Face Mask
- Turmeric – 1 teaspoon
- Raw honey – 1 teaspoon
- Raw milk/ Greek yogurt – 3 teaspoons
Mix all these ingredients in a bowl till it forms a fine paste. Apply this paste all over the face as a mask using a makeup brush or cotton balls. Massage gently for a minute and let the mask sit for 10 – 15 minutes.
After that, remove the mask using a damp washcloth or cotton ball. If you find any yellow tint remaining on the skin then use water diluted apple cider vinegar as a toner to get rid of yellow stains on the skin due to the usage of turmeric.
Written by: Candace Mitchell