Mediterranean Chicken Meatballs
1/2 cup chopped basil, parsley, or dill
1/2 medium red onion
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes canned in oil, drained
1 pound lean ground turkey (or chicken)
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 large egg
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To make the meatballs, mix together ground meat with herbs, diced onion, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, oregano, panko, egg, crushed garlic (or minced cloves), 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and pepper. Start with 1/2 cup of panko and add more if the mixture looks too wet. Roll meatballs about 1.5 inches in diameter.
- Place a cooling rack into a baking sheet and keep that next to your meatball searing station.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan, saute pan, or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Add meatballs to heated oil. Sear meatballs until golden, about 2 minutes on each side. Move meatballs to the cooling rack when seared.
- Place meatballs in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Grilled Salmon With Pineapple Salsa
for the salmon
1/2 cup pineapple juice
2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2, four-ounce salmon fillets
for the salsa
3/4 cup diced pineapple
3/4 cup diced cucumber
1 small green onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
1/4 teaspoon cumin
Pinch of chili powder and sea salt
- In a resealable bag or shallow dish, combine pineapple juice and soy sauce. Place salmon inside bag and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
- Chop all ingredients for salsa and combine in a small bowl. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Preheat grill on medium-high heat. Oil the grill grates.
- Grill salmon for 2-3 minutes per side, or until no longer pink in the middle. (Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the fillets).
- Serve with greens and top with salsa.