Breakfast Grain Bowl With Turkey Sausage Meatballs
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
1 ½ cups farro
16 ounces lean ground turkey sausage
2 red bell peppers
6 green onions, thinly sliced
6 soft-cooked eggs
Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
- Prepare farro according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using hands, form sausage into small balls (a little smaller than golf balls); place on rimmed baking pan. Transfer to oven and bake 18- 20 minutes or until internal temperature of meatballs reaches 165 degrees F.
- Using open flame of gas range (set to medium heat), roast red peppers about 5 minutes or until blackened all over, using tongs to rotate peppers as they cook. Transfer peppers to medium bowl; cover with plastic wrap and let stand 5 minutes. Use knife to scrape skin from peppers. Remove seeds; then roughly chop peppers.
- At this point, each prepared ingredient can be stored separately in the fridge until ready to assemble. To assemble, place 1/2 cup prepared farro in bowl. Top with 4-5 meatballs, 2 tablespoons red peppers, 2 tablespoons onions, and one egg. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Tip: Don’t have a gas range? You can roast the red peppers using the broiler setting on your oven. Place the peppers on a rimmed baking pan, then place an inch or two from the broiler element set to HIGH. Watch carefully (don’t walk away) and use tongs to rotate the peppers so they blacken evenly.
Mediterranean Style Grain Bowl
Extra virgin olive oil
1 zucchini squash, sliced into rounds
1 cup farro, prepared according to package
2 cups canned lentils, drained and rinsed
2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
2 shallots, sliced
2 avocados, skin removed, pitted, and sliced
1cup fresh chopped parsley
Handful pitted kalamata olives
Sprinkle crumbled feta cheese, optional
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
2 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon Za’atar spice
½ teaspoon ground Sumac
- In a non-stick pan or skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add the sliced zucchini and sauté on both sides until tender. Remove zucchini with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain excess oil. Season lightly with salt.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a mason jar. Close the lid tightly and give it a good shake. Set aside for now (but shake again before using).
- Divide the cooked farro, lentils, and chickpeas equally among four dinner bowls (It’ll come to ½ cup of each per bowl). Add cooked zucchini, tomatoes, shallots, avocado slices, parsley, and kalamata olives. Season lightly with salt, pepper, and more za’atar if you like. Drizzle a bit of the dressing on top (about 2 tablespoons per bowl). Finish with crumbled feta, if you like.
- Serve at room temperature or warm if farro and pulses were just cooked. It’s best to mix the ingredients in each bowl to allow the dressing flavors to infuse. If you have a bit of dressing left, serve it alongside.