The ketogenic diet is a low carb diet that results in the body producing ketones in the liver that are then used as energy. The body typically produces glucose and insulin when we ingest high quantities of carbohydrates. However, the body will initiate ketosis, a natural process, to produce energy when food intake is low.
The body will store fat for later because, when on a normal carb diet, the body will use glucose for energy. When the body becomes deprived of these carbs to generate glucose, ketosis begins.
According to ruled.me, it is important to understand that this is not a diet of starvation of healthy calories but a starvation of carbohydrates. If the keto diet is properly maintained, it will force the body into a metabolic state.
The benefits of a ketogenic diet include weight loss, controlled blood sugar, and increased energy and mental focus. It can even help treat acne and help with epilepsy symptoms.
According to ruled.me, you will have to plan ahead if you decide to try out this diet. It all depends on how fast you want your body to enter the stage of ketosis, which results from how strict you are with limiting how many carbs you consume.
For an easier representation of the keto diet, just think of it being high in fat, moderate in protein, and low in carbs. Ruled.me suggests a ratio of 70 percent fats, 25 percent protein, and 5 percent carbs.
Keeping track of the total carbs you are consuming daily can help with better result for weight loss. It is really easy to count carbs through macro counting, which is just a specified version of calorie counting. If you find yourself getting hungry throughout the day, it’s okay to snack on nuts, cheeses, or peanut butter. However, it may slow down the process of weight loss in the long run.
To understand which steps are the most important, here are the specifics of what you should be doing to reach ketosis.
First, restrict your carb and protein intake. Don’t reduce your consumption of fats; they’re the primary source of energy in ketosis. Next, drink plenty of water and don’t snack unless you absolutely have to. Finally, try fasting to boost ketone levels. Exercise when you can and start supplementing if needed.
If you want to know if you’re in ketosis or not, there are many options and indicators that can alert you to the beginning of the process. You can use blood or urine strips to test, but an easier method is noticing your body’s indicators. If you have increased urination and energy, reduced hunger, dry mouth, or bad breath, you are probably in ketosis.
Foods to Avoid:
Sugars: syrups, honey
Fruit: bananas, apples
Grains: corn, rice
Tubers: yams, potatoes
Foods to Look For:
Fats: ranch dressing, coconut oil
Dairy: cream, cheeses, butter
Meats: beef, eggs, fish
Leafy greens: kale, spinach
Avocado Deviled Eggs
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic
¼ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika, optional*
2 tablespoons cilantro
1. Add eggs in a medium pot and fully submerge into water.
2. Remove from heat after water begins to boil and cover for 12–13 minutes.
3. Allow eggs to chill for 5 minutes by gently placing them in a bowl of ice water.
4. Remove the yolk by taking the casing off the egg and slicing it in half lengthwise.
5. Add avocado, spices, and yolk to a bowl and mix well. Add the mixture to the egg halves.
6. Top with lime juice and cilantro as desired.
Cauliflower Crusted Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
1 medium head of cauliflower (raw), cut into small florets and stem removed
1 large egg
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
2 thick slices of white cheddar cheese (you can also use shredded cheddar cheese)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Pulse cauliflower in a food processor until the consistency of small crumbs.
2. Make cauliflower soft by placing in a microwave safe bowl and microwaving for about 2 minutes.
3. Remove and stir cauliflower, then place back in microwave for an additional 3 minutes. Remove and stir again, then place back in microwave for another 5 minutes until evenly cooked.
4. Let the cauliflower cool, then add eggs and cheese. Stir until the consistency of smooth paste. Stir in seasoning, then divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Place on a lined baking sheet with parchment paper and shape dough into square bread slices, about 1/3-inch think. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
5. After allowing the bread to cool, cook grilled cheese to your preference, whether it is on the stove top or in a toaster oven.
Written by: Alex Dunn